Thursday, January 17, 2013

:: Christmas come and gone... (Handmade - part 1)

Hannah's doll bunk bed
 
Wow.  I can't believe January's half-way over, and I'm just getting ready to show you a few of our projects.  So as not to overwhelm you with pictures, I will try to divide them into a series over the next few days.

So.. where was I?  Oh yes.. Christmas...  Josh made these 3 adorable doll bunk beds for the girls.  We found the free plans on Ana White's amazing website.  (more on that later)  They fit their 15" Bitty Baby dolls, as well as Ellie's 18" American Girl doll.


They were inexpensive to make, just some cheap pine, and a few coats of paint we already had leftover. 

Audrey's doll bunk bed
 
 
Ellie's doll bunk bed

I made mattresses using some fabric I had on hand, using this pattern.  They were quite easy.  In all, I think each bunk bed cost about $10 to make.  And the girls loved finding them at the end of their scavenger hunt Christmas morning.

The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
 
Side note:  Ana White has HUNDREDS of free plans on her website!!  And she just came out with this book, The Handbuilt Home.  I rented it from our local library and IT. IS. AMAZING.  I think I would love every piece she has in it!  (no, I'm not paid to say any of this) 
 
 
I also finished a duvet cover I was attempting to make. 
 
 
 I found a screaming deal on a comforter awhile back. We loved it when it came in the mail, but unfortunately for me, when I began looking to buy a cover, I realized why it was such a good deal. It was not normal dimensions for any standard size covers... Long story short, I made one. Let's just say it wouldn't win any ribbons at the fair, but at least it works. =)
 
So there's a few.  More tomorrow...
 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea, thanks! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 5 grand daughters and I'm 44 lol. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...