Thursday, January 09, 2014

:: Sew-Together Bags

I first saw this Sew-Together-Bag when a friend of mine (Krista @kristastitched) made one and put a picture of it on Instagram.  I instantly fell in love with it, and all the pockets and organizing storage it offers - perfect for teachers supplies, makeup or sewing notions.  Which then gave me the crazy idea to make one for teacher's Christmas gifts (the kids' Science/Spanish class) as well as Christmas gifts for a few of my friends.
8 bags later I can testify to it not being a super fast pattern, but a very satisfying project.  I used scraps to make a pieced strip in the front, and then added monograms to personalize each one (I love the way they turned out!).  But really, these can be personalized, or made as scrappy or streamlined as you want.
I ended up cutting out all the pieces for each bag at one time, which helped speed up the process.  And then I'd sew 2-3 at a time - kinda like chain-piecing quilts...but...bags.  On a few of them I mis-cut the front panels, and had to improvise by adding another narrow strip of fabric, and then made it look like it was on purpose! 
For my friends that sew, I added a little felted wool rectangle (from a shrunken wool sweater) for pins/needles.
Since I needed (24) 9" zippers, I bought mine from a little shop over at Etsy, called ZipIt.  Bulk pricing ended up being much better than buying individually at JoAnn's, and I was very pleased with the quality, not to mention it was so fun to pick colors from such a nice assortment! 
Packaging got creative when I went to mail these - and necessity is indeed the mother of invention.  My pantry provided the perfect mailing package, and after I wrapped the oats tubs in brown paper they looked "inventive" if nothing else.  Even the Post Office employee commented on them being unique.  At least she made me feel like it was cute - even if it was ghetto.  =)
Overall they were a hit, and after Christmas was over and I could catch my breath, I made one more for me.  Now I can't wait to fill it with all my sewing notions!
At first I hesitated a bit when I saw the price of the pattern, but when I realized how many bags I'd be making, averaged out, it ended up being a steal. =)  Plus the pattern is brilliant. 
Oh yeah - if you want to check out pictures of other Sew Together Bags, head on over to Instagram and look up @sewdemented's #sewtogetherbag.  And be sure to let me know if you make one too.
 
Bag Info:
Pattern: Sew Together Bag - pattern at Craftsy.com
Outside Fabric:  Essex Yarn Dyed Linen - in black
zippers: ZipIt (Etsy.com)
 
 

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! They look wonderful! I think that it is really much work!
    I found your blog a little time ago and I loved it from the first moment on! I am from Germany, so I'm sorry if my English isn't good...I also have a sewing blog and I'm 14 years old.
    Maybe you can have a look at mine? That would be wonderful!

    Lia
    (StoffStuff)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to make one of these bags from the moment I laid eyes on one! So far I've been too chicken to try :) Yours look fantastic and I will say it...you are brave in my eyes for making so many!! Such great gifts that will be cherished for years.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you through Pinterest and I want to congratulate you on your family and faith. I, too, am a mother to 5 children (with 2 in heaven) and homeschool as well. We have 2 boys (oldest & youngest) with 3 girls in the middle. I am currently expecting our 6th and am amply busy with my business and blog as well. I'd love for you to stop by and check it out: http://www.prodigalpieces.com.
    Keep up the good work!! :o)
    Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bag is on my "one day" list. I just made my first zippered bag this past weekend and know I have more in my future. Just need to get a bit more experienced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update, very nice site..
    designer bags sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...