Friday, June 27, 2014

Paper-Piecing for a friend

Have you ever tried paper piecing?  I just recently tried it - and surprisingly - it's so fun!  (I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be.)
I might have enjoyed it even more, due to how good it felt to sit down at my machine, since I was able to finally put down my paintbrush.  =)
I watched a few how-to videos, but when I tried it, I would get so confused with which direction the fabric would be facing, and how to figure out (from the back) if the paper was over the correct spot, and if it would cover the desired area once it was flipped backwards!  But then I watched a tutorial  (here) from Ellison Lane, it made perfect sense to me!  Loved her method!  And it made me fall in love with paper piecing.  Well - that, and this fabulous "70's Geese" pattern by Diane at From Blank Pages (available here on Craftsy).
I made it specifically for this friend I've gotten to know on Instagram.  She's the kind of person who is always doing thoughtful, giving things for others.  And yet sometimes I wonder how much is given back to her?  You know the type - devoted wife and mother, and faithful friend who's always there for you - always making and doing for others.  Ashley just moved into a new house which has a room just for her sewing stuff - and it has lots of bare walls.  I figured she needed to know how much she is appreciated (couldn't we all use more of that?).  And...she needed some help filling up all those fabulous bare walls.  =)

This pattern comes in several sizes.  I used the 18" pattern for this - and made it up into a mini-quilt. 
However, I'm thinking this would make a fabulous throw pillow, as well. 
I may or may not be making another one sometime soon.  You take a guess.  =)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this yet but I'm going to soon! Your piece is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started some paper piecing, too! I'm making a gigantic paper pieced pineapple block and I agree, once you get the hang of it, it's lots of fun. So sweet of you to make that for your Instagram friend. It looks like your first attempt came out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... That is absolutely gorgeous! I have got to make a mini quilt of my own once I finish the quilt I'm working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the most beautiful mini quilts I've ever seen! Great eye for color/fabric combos!❤

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...